Master Mason Apron, circa 1860
This apron was originally owned by Brother Lewis R. Kirk (1832-1901). Born in 1832 he studied medicine under the direction of his uncle, Dr. Jeremiah Brown Stubbs (1804-1862), of Fulton, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania prior to attending Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, graduating in 1853. He was raised in Union Lodge, No. 48 in Elkton, Cecil County, Maryland, serving as Master of the lodge in 1860.
During the American Civil War on August 22, 1862 he enlisted and was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the 131st Regt. of Pa. Vols, serving with his regiment at the battles of Antietam, first Fredricksburg, and Chancellorsville. After the expiration of the regiment’s term he was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of the 112th Regt. Pa. Vols.(2d Pa. Heavy Artillery). The regiment at that time was garrisoning the fort north o Washington, D.C. On the 16th of October, 1863, he was commissioned Surgeon of the 26th Regt. Pa. Vols., in the 5th Corps, ‘Army of the Potomac.’ He participated in battles of Kelley’s Ford – where he was wounded – Mine Run, Wilderness and Spottsylvania Court House. He mustered out at the expiration of the regiment’s term of service, and appointed Post Surgeon, U.S.A., in which capacity he had charge of Hospitals at Fort Lyons and Fort Williams, Virginia; Fort Fisher, Fort Johnson, Raleigh and Fayettesville, North Carolina. He resigned January 1, 1868 to establish a drug store in Rising Sun in Cecil County, Maryland. The following year in 1869 he married Mary C. (?-1907), daughter of Henry Richardson (1796-1854) and Mary Elizabeth Yeamans Richardson (1798-1854) of Charlestown, Cecil County, Maryland. They had five children; Lewis R.Kirk (1872-1907), Hannah Mary Kirk (1876-?), Caroline Ethel Kirk (1877-1925), Frank Clifford Kirk (1880-1931) and Helen Maude Kirk (1884-1925). He died on April 19, 1901.